Wednesday, March 28, 2012

group therapy

It was around this time last year that I logged into Facebook from my little apartment in Quito, Ecuador and saw a few pictures of the Hope Youth Staff retreat. I had only met a handful of the people that were in attendance. To be honest, I was only interested because two of my best friends were involved, but as I looked through the pictures and continued to browse some of their photos I began to feel pretty sad.

Maybe sad isn't the right word because I'd say I was generally happy to be living abroad, traveling, and speaking EspaƱol every day. The word I'm looking for would probably be closer to lonely or empty. What I saw in those pictures was more than just the happenings in the lives of two close friends, it was a reminder of what a blessing community is.

Unfortunately, it was also a vivid wake up call that I was living without any form of real community. I met several people during my time in Ecuador who I consider dear friends and with whom I share many great memories. The problem is most of the people I spent my time with had probably never experienced the type of community I was coming from at Virginia Tech. Let's just say there's a high standard of what I look for in the group of people I surround myself with.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Your community is largely what determines the kind of person you become or strive to be. This is painfully obvious when you leave everything and everyone you've come to know well for the last four years of your life. I was not the man I wanted to be in Ecuador. It's hard for me to admit that on here. As my friend Nicole mentioned to me recently, a blog is just an expression and possibly even a reminder of things you actually believe about yourself. That being said, I'm not one to be too vulnerable. I don't regret the choices I made and in moving forward I know God was present each moment of those nine months where I was barely keeping my head above water.

Fast forward. I've just been tagged in a few pictures from the Hope Youth Staff retreat. It's been a year since I saw those pictures and longed to be back in a community where I am challenged and experience growth along with genuine love. In only one year God has brought me into a community that has welcomed me like they were just waiting for me the whole time.

The friends, leaders, students, and families that I have formed relationships with in this community are now something I value above all else. I was discussing this with two friends recently and I shared how this group of people is so intricate and unique that only a God-sized miracle could bring us all together at this point in our lives in Richmond. I am thankful for that because without this refreshing community I would still be clinging to something that is now a joyful but certainly distant memory.

On that note, if someone from my time abroad is reading this I want you to know that I'm glad our paths crossed. I'm thankful that God used you in my life to teach me how to love people well outside of a church. I'm thankful for your friendship and for making a confusing nine months pass by almost too quickly. I apologize if I didn't meet the same standards that I tend to require in choosing relationships. I want you to know that I love you, God loves you, and if you ever want to catch up please feel welcome to call. As we would say back in Ecua...siga no mas.

No comments:

Post a Comment