Friday, February 24, 2012

finishing well

There's a lot of things I don't really finish well. For instance...

I have no problem doing laundry until it reaches the folding and putting away stage and that's when I casually "take a break" and eventually just wear all the clothes in the pile for two weeks until it's time for another wash.

I actually love grocery shopping but I always find myself lingering in the store, browsing items I have no intention of buying, simply avoiding at all costs returning home to restock the cabinets and fridge.

Speaking of groceries, I don't believe I can recall a time that I've finished a bag of grapes or a bunch of bananas, yet I continue to purchase them telling myself, "this time I'll finish them all I swear!"

These things may seem fairly trivial in passing but what I've begun to realize is it's often the little things can make the biggest differences in our lives. The little lies, deceits, or secrets we know of ourselves and in our hearts. The things even people around us may have taken notice of while we have grown dull to the prodding of our conscience against our stubborn will to resist real change or growth.

I just spent last weekend as a volunteer youth leader on a winter retreat with Hope Student Ministry in the Outer Banks. It was a refreshing time of community and bonding with some younger guys who I've gotten to know pretty well since moving to Richmond. Two of them in particular are seniors in high school, just a few months away from beginning the next chapter of their lives in college.

One of the things I prayed for the two of them more specifically during the weekend was that they would finish well. I remember how incredible it was to leave high school knowing my identity was found in Christ and taking that confidence with me to Blacksburg where my faith flourished. I hope for the same type of transition for those guys. I pray they continue to recognize the importance of seeking God as they move forward in their lives, asking for guidance and expecting an adventure. I pray that He would bless them for their faith.

For this lenten season, for forty days I'm challenging myself to drink only tap water and not eat out (yes, that includes Chickfila). It's going to be interesting these first few days to see how often I have to check myself from picking up a cup of coffee at work or stopping by Jimmy John's on my lunch break or even just having a beer on Friday after a long work week. My only hope is that I can finish well, that I wouldn't fall prey to a passive approach towards the end of the forty days and make excuses to compromise.

Where do you notice passivity and opportunities for growth in those areas? Is it something you can really focus on through the next few weeks? 

No comments:

Post a Comment